Friday, November 23, 2012

Saturday Shout Out: Are You Feeling It?

Introducing "Saturday Shout Outs!" I am going to periodically give a "shout out" to someone or something, past, present, or future that has influenced me or the field of music therapy.

Today's shout out goes to fellow Drury student, Tyler Stokes.

Tyler gets a shout out because I never seen any musician who allows musical emotion to show in his face and body quite as naturally as he does.

I think advanced musical training can tend to train our natural expressive reactions right out of us. Sometimes, we get "conservatory face" and if it weren't for the quality of the music being produced, one might think that the musician isn't feeling anything.

A few weeks ago, I was sight-reading an etude with a middle school student. Midway through, she stopped and giggled. I was baffled. What about sight-reading is giggle-worthy? She told me that the music took a turn she wasn't expecting and it filled her with surprise and delight. WOW.

How often would we allow ourselves to giggle while making music anymore? Or to sigh? Weep? Grimace? Or grin?

Would it be the end of the world if a musicians on stage looked like they were having fun?

One thing I can tell you is that Tyler has this expression down to an art. His performances are inspiring, both in sound and sight. Shameless plug alert: You can follow Tyler on Twitter (@TylerStoked) and be sure to check out his fantastic band, Delta Sol Revival (@DeltaSolRevival).

So, in honor of Tyler's Saturday Shout Out, I challenge you to be a little less inhibited the next time you make music. Are you feeling it?







No comments:

Post a Comment