Sunday, November 18, 2012

Roll With the Changes

 REO Speedwagon: "Roll With the Changes"

As music therapists, when something happens in our lives, we can almost always think of the song that accompanies what is going on. This week, "Roll With the Changes" by REO Speedwagon has been my theme song.
Dr. Natalie Wlodarczyk tells us at Drury all the time that our greatest assets as music therapists are our flexibility and our creativity.

This became especially true as this week, it was announced that due to overall budgetary constraints, Drury's Master of Music Therapy program will not be accepting any new students for the next foreseeable future.

This decision came down at the same point I was getting ready to begin taking some graduate coursework. I absolutely love Drury and I think we have a fantastic program for music therapy. Our students go out prepared for their internships and have great experiences, as a general rule. Our curriculum is rigorous and we have a clinic for music therapy services on campus.

Obviously, if it were up to me, I would have been extremely happy to stay in our great environment at Drury and do my graduate work there.

But, things changed, and so you roll with the changes. My husband and I sat down with our five to ten-year plan and used our flexibility and creativity to roll with the changes. It really is true that flexibility and creativity are my greatest assets, both for working with clients and for navigating life. While I am disappointed that I won't be able to do my graduate work at Drury, it is also exciting to have the opportunity to make new plans. 

So, I would second what Dr. Wlodarczyk says - flexibility and creativity will get you through anything, whether it's a session that doesn't go how you were expecting or a significant change to your educational plans. 

Whatever may be going on in life right now, it's always a good time to turn some pages and roll with the changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment