Saturday, December 14, 2013

Saturday Shout Out: Rob Blevins

It's been a while since I've done a Shout Out, but this one is timely and necessary.

Every so often in life, you get the chance to share a little bit about someone who made you who you are, and my older brother, Rob Blevins, is one of those people.

I want to share just a few of my favorite Rob stories to help you see how this incredible man has helped make me who I am. I know I wouldn't be on my way to becoming a music therapist without him!

Once in 7th grade, I came home from school crying because I had been picked on by a boy at school. Rob casually asked his name. The next day and from then forward I was never bothered by this bully - or any others - again. Years later my brother admitted that he had gently but firmly picked up this troublemaker and set him against the fence at the middle school football game and had a very serious discussion about not making his baby sister cry anymore.

When I was first learning to play the flute, family funds were very tight. I desperately needed a better instrument and lessons to keep making progress. Rob was 16 years old, in school full-time, working his first part-time job to earn money for his own college fund. He went in 50-50 with my parents on my new flute and covered a few months of lessons from time to time, as well.

All along the way, Rob has encouraged me and encouraged my pursuit of music. He listened to all my early attempts at making music and barely even winced. He pushed me to take every opportunity and every audition, and stayed up late with me to get audition results.

He did manage to save up that college fund, and now he has a master's degree in technical writing. In typical Rob fashion, he's been using those writing skills for years to proofread all my papers.

It was Rob who made it very clear to me that even though funds were still tight, I was going to college, and he would steer me toward the scholarships to make that a reality.

I finally got the chance to repay a tiny bit of everything Rob has done for me by teaching him to play the guitar. Again in typical Rob fashion, he started writing songs that are WAY better than mine, but he's still cool enough to let me jam with him anyway.

Now that you know a little bit about my awesome brother, I do have one small request. You could help me help him fulfill one of his lifelong dreams. Rob is in a contest to win an internship with his childhood hero, Steve Young. I would consider it a personal favor if you went to his page and "liked" and shared it!

Thank you, Rob, for pushing me to pursue music and helping me all along the path to becoming a music therapist!

No comments:

Post a Comment