Thursday, May 26, 2016

A Q&A with Nancy Leigh

I recently attended a Drury Business Network morning meetup group, where I was so fortunate to connect with Nancy Leigh Crandal, another alumna of Drury.

We struck up conversation about the work she does with interior design, aimed at helping older adults and people with physical limitations to better and more safely occupy their home spaces, which has an enormous impact on overall well-being and quality of life.

As a board-certified music therapist, I also use creative arts mediums to improve the quality of someone's environment as a way to improve their health, feelings of well-being, and quality of life.

I was recharged and inspired by hearing Nancy's perspective on her work as an interior designer, and I am thrilled to have the chance to share some of her thoughts with you. Nancy graciously agreed to let me interview her via email for my music therapy musers.

1. Q: Will you please share with our readers a little about your education, background, and your design experience so far?
A: B.S. from MSU in Residential Planning & Construction. B.A. from Drury University in Art and Bach. Of Architecture. Worked in the building profession designing, project management in residential and commercial area.

2. Q: I was so inspired to meet you recently and learn about your current project of using the elements of design to improve the environments and quality of life for older adults and people with disabilities. What initially inspired you to apply your background in interior design to improving the lives of this group of people? 
A:Universal Design & Aging in Place, to me, is a Holistic approach for the life you live. It encompasses all aspects of a balanced life.  My emphases is the environment you physicality live in connecting it to comfort, health and quality of life for all.

3. Q: When we spoke, you mentioned that even subtle elements of the environment such as the color of household appliances can make a big impact on health, safety, and quality of life. Would you please share a little more about how the environment impacts human health and functioning?
A: Our environment affects all our senses. When it is pleasing to our senses, gives a feeling of safety, and connects with our inner beings, we are just more content.

4. Q: You also mentioned that you are seeking individuals who are willing to help you conduct some field research. Can you explain what it is you are looking for and how people should go about contacting you?
A:I find face to face a great way to connect with people and see and hear how they live in their space and what they would like to improve for ease of comfort. It takes about an hour of me listening to how one functions in their environment. It is not a design session ,it is a listening session. I can be reached at 417-569-9414 or nlcreativedesign@sbcglobal.net.

5. Q: What else would you most like to share with the community about your work?
A:My goal is educating and simplifying the space you occupy.

My thanks go out to Nancy for sharing her passion for her work, and I hope my readers will spread the word so that she can continue to learn about the needs of our community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment