Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Nerve!

I am absolutely thrilled, humbled, grateful, and elated to announce that on Monday, I will begin a part-time position with Oxford Hospice in Springfield, MO.

This position did not exist when I graduated and moved back home from my internship.

It represents months of waiting, creation and revision of a grant, and one very daring move: I applied for a position that did not exist and asked to interview anyway.

The nerve of some young professionals!

But, it was my nerve and my passion that sold my hospice director. I had the audacity to apply for a position that didn't exist yet, acting on the belief that it would exist eventually.

Just having the nerve to show up and be fully present and ask boldly for what I wanted was the spark that set us off on a journey to write a grant and create a music therapy position where there was not one before.

It's an exciting time to be a young music therapist, but it can also be daunting. I sincerely hope that if you are in a similar boat, waiting to start your first "real" music therapy job, you can find the nerve to show up and make someone listen.

The right opportunities are out there!

 I, for one, am looking forward to being back at the bedside with my patients again soon.

Any other young professionals have a success story to share? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment