Sunday, March 17, 2013

How Did I Get Here?

I'm crouching on the floor, playing a guitar, while simultaneously holding and playing a set of jingle bells in my right hand. The strum pattern from my right hand shakes the jingle bells and makes them sound. I'm also singing and trying to get eye contact from an amazing little someone with an autism spectrum disorder.

How did I get here?

I never imagined I would have the desire or ability to find myself in that situation when I first began studying the flute years ago in 7th grade. Even though I didn't know it, that is indeed where my personal journey towards music therapy began. 

As a small child, I loved music and would spend hours at a time picking out tunes by ear on the family piano. I couldn't get enough. A family friend offered free piano lessons, which I took for a while, but being young and foolish, I decided maybe piano lessons weren't so awesome after all.

The summer before my 7th grade year, I heard a flute trio play for the very first time. After that, there was no going back. I had to learn how to do that. It was no longer a want, but a need.

I started private flute lessons and band that year and threw myself full force into both. If you asked me what I wanted be when I grew up, it was absolutely very clearly, "either a band director or a professional flutist."

Music education or performance were my only two options, as far as I was concerned. And, of course, I only listened to classical because pop music was "dumb" and "shallow."

Now I just laugh at my 7th grade self. (And also want to kick her for not listening to pop music sooner.)

Things continued more or less in this fashion through my sophomore year of high school. In my second semester, I was assigned to write a research paper on a "personally relevant question." So, my question was whether I should pursue music education or performance.

In my initial searching, I found the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) website. The more I read, the more it became a moment like hearing the flute trio. I very quickly realized that this was my niche. The research paper I turned in was not about education vs. performance. Instead, I turned in a paper about the effectiveness of music therapy, the career options for music therapists, and what my personal action plan should be to send me on my way to MT-BC. I got to present my findings to my entire English class, so I was already advocating for music therapy.

That same year, I took a career and aptitude test at school. My top three results were music performance, counseling, and health care. My teacher laughed and shook his head and said, "Good luck finding one career that's all three of those." I told him that it meant I was supposed to be a music therapist.
 

Do you have a personal music therapy journey to share? Send me an email or share in the comments!




No comments:

Post a Comment