Saturday, January 19, 2013

Saturday Shout Out: Justin Roberts!


Today’s Saturday Shout Out goes to my favorite kindie (that’s kid’s music + indie) artist, Justin Roberts!

Several months ago, I was thinking about how more toddlers seem to be into Justin Bieber than traditional nursery rhymes, and how I felt about that as a future music therapist. I started to think about the themes in all the children’s music I had heard so far and how they were all inadequate to broach some of the serious, real-world issues I know children sometimes confront in music therapy.

Out of sheer curiosity (or was it desperation?), I Googled “serious children’s music.” I found this article and I was totally blown away. I started listening to Justin Roberts music on YouTube, and that was followed by downloading as much of it on iTunes as my college budget would allow.

A quick evaluation of his lyrics reveals the themes are often ready-made for music therapy sessions. The music is also as satisfying, complex, and varied as children’s music ever gets. To put it simply, his music may be for children, but it’s in no way childish.

I have created some examples of how Justin Roberts’s music might be used in music therapy with children.
On his newest album, Lullaby, the first track, Count Them as They Go would be great for music-assisted relaxation, using imagery or Progressive Muscle Relaxation. This track would also be great for having clients draw to music.

Easier to Do would work well for lyric analysis. You might ask clients, “What is hard for you to do right now?” “What is something that used to be hard but now is easier for you to do?”

Nothing on You, Heart of Gold, All For You, Polar Bear, No Matter How Far, and Lullaby all contain loving messages from caregivers to children and could be used in a family therapy type session.They are also gentle enough they might be used by music therapists or parents alike in the NICU.

From other albums, songs like I Chalk, Taking off My Training Wheels, Giraffe/Nightingale, and Backyard Super Kid are all excellent for validating a child’s unique talents and abilities and for helping them to build self-esteem. Giraffe/Nightingale would be great for a group lyric analysis, and Backyard Super Kid might be perfect for a child who is hospitalized for medical or psychiatric reasons. Piggy-back songwriting can be used to customize the lyrics for each client.

There are so many more uses for Justin Roberts’s music that I couldn’t fit them all in one blog post!

His music covers nearly everything that is childhood, from the silly to the serious.

My personal favorite is Sandcastle. The song speaks of grief and loss with a very-age appropriate, relatable metaphor. It is excellent for processing grief with young children and can be adapted with fill in the blank song-writing.

And, just in case music therapists needed another reason to love Justin Roberts, he has links to chords and lyrics for his albums Meltdown! and Yellow Bus. 

Music therapists, have you ever used his music in a session? Would you?
Be sure to like Justin Roberts on Facebook and follow him on Twitter!

2 comments:

  1. I guess I have selected a mind blowing and interesting blog.
    brainwave therapy

    ReplyDelete